A client who is the communications director for a nonprofit visited us today. We’re working on a fundraising video together that she will show at an upcoming gala for her organization. She mentioned that she had met recently with a fundraising consultant who offered several pieces of advice related to her video.
Though the advice was for a fundraising video, I think all of the points below can also apply to marketing video for businesses, except for number 5, of course! The first three, I would say, have the most relevance to marketing video. Anyway, here they are:
1. Make sure your video is short. If it’s a video for a gala event, it should be no longer than 7 minutes.
2. Don’t bother telling people about all the stuff you do – you’ll lose their attention. Just make sure to communicate the essence of what you’re all about.
3. Explain what has changed for the people you have served.
4. Spend time finding great music for your video that will have an emotional impact.
5. Make your audience cry three times (with help from #4).